86 Days in Sana'a

A captivating account of Rich's intensive studying of Arabic, travels, and everyday life in Sana'a, Yemen.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

My Arrival in Sana'a

I made it everyone! Luckily, I had no problems along the way, even at the airport. I was picked up by an employee from the school and he drove me to my new home. It was quite a shock driving to Old Sana'a. It is definitely quite the culture shock. So far though everything is going great. I met a couple students last night, two americans (boy and girl) and a chinese boy. They seemed nice enough. I also got a decent night sleep which was much needed. I did awake at 5am when the Call to Prayer occured in the town. It was quite loud. I am currently being shown around town with a "guide", he is very friendly and speaks decent English. I got my money changed over this morning and got breakfast, consisting of a plate of chopped chicken and beef, which we ate with flat bread. You just scoop it up and shovel it in your mouth. I also had tea, which was delicious.

The city of Old Sana'a is absolutely beautiful, but very confusing. Huge brick buildings all together, winding around with narrow roads between. My room is good, even though it is right next to the bathroom, I guess the newcomer gets the worst local in the building. I have so much more to tell but am pressed for time. Plus the internet connection is even slower than my Mom's dial up. I hope all is well in the states.

Good luck at NEC's this weekend.

Mom, Dad, Jenna, Family and Friends, I love and miss you.

Till next time.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yo Richard!
    Welcome to the adventure of travel and life in a 3rd world country! As you know, I've spent my share of time in such places and even now as I write this it's my 5 month in China so here's a couple of tips you may not have found in the official travel literature.... always carry some cipro and your own toilet paper!!! If you forget the first one you damn sure better have the second one!!!!

    Enjoy you trip and continue to share your experiences. Remember..... the difference between and ordeal and an adventure is your attitude.

    Later!

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger HotWheels said…

    Just think, when you get home my dial-up will seem like high speed!

    Great to hear the trip went without a hitch. It's hard to believe you're halfway around the world. Were you able to see the pyramids when you flew into Cairo?

    I hope you're taking tons of pictures so we can get a feel for Sana'a. Do you need anymore memory?

    Please post any more specific address to be used. Also, watch that change in foods until your system adjusts.

    Sadie and I love you and miss, but hope you're taking advantage of every experience! xoxoxoxox Mom

     
  • At 7:35 PM, Blogger Richard Heffron, Jr. said…

    Colleen and I just want to say how happy we were to get your call last night and tto know you had a safe trip. Your blog has been sent to quite a number of friends, and they are anxious to hear more reports from the Middle East. Let us know if you need any thing like cipro, toilet paper, magazines, etc.
    We are already counting the days until you are home in sunny Delaware. Today the high was 21 the low 11, see what you are missing.
    Love, Dad

     

Post a Comment

<< Home