86 Days in Sana'a

A captivating account of Rich's intensive studying of Arabic, travels, and everyday life in Sana'a, Yemen.

Monday, February 12, 2007

Three Days in a Row

Ahlan-wa-Sahlen,

I can't believe I'm updating my blog for third day in a row. The fact of the matter is though that I went out to dinner with Tim and Ryan, and we were right near a internet cafe so we all decided to stop in.

All is well. My third day of class went great. I am starting to learn verbs. They will be quite useful considering it is hard to string together a sentence without them. I also went to the a gym today. It was a little hole in the ground place with free weights. Quite a site. There were a bunch of skinny Yemeni boys trying to become Arnold Scharwzanagger. You should have seen the place, the walls were covered in pictures of body builders with 50% of them being Arnold. I fit right in with my skinny little arms and bird chest.

Other than that there isn't too much exciting to report. Daily life is good. I hit up the supermarket yesterday and got some pasta, tuna and Arabic fruit loops. They aren't too bad, as long as you go in expecting them to taste a bit funny.

One thing I'd like to touch on is animal cruelty. There are no actual house pets over here as I mentioned before and unfortunately, the children are quite brutal to the dogs, cats and goats that roam freely. Today for instance I saw one boy swing a metal rod at a pack of four cats. Then on my way back from lunch I witnessed a little boy spitting on a cat as it ate scraps of chicken and to top it all off on the way back from the gym I watched a little boy drag a baby goat down the street by one leg.

On a similar topic, the Yemeni children over here are the toughest S.O.B's I've ever seen. Today Tommy and I watched a couple of 4 yr olds scrap it up in the street. You'll see kids 2-3yrs old hitting each other with sticks, all alone without their parents and they don't cry a bit. A toy most these kids consists of a tire or a metal rod with a wheel at the bottom. If they are lucky they'll have a cheap-o football which they all use and the most fortunate have bikes. There is nothing like seeing a three year old kid though stand right in the way of a honking car and walk away unfazed. It would be quite amusing (I know this is kind of sick) to put five American four year olds in a ring with five Yemenis and let them have at it. I can guarantee you who would come out on top.

I'll leave my rantings at that for now. I hope all is well in the States. Quite a nice performance I saw by the Bobcats this weekend, especially the ladies, 4th freakin place! Congrats. Also what about Alan Culpepper with the win at USXC's going away. I wouldn't have expected that.

Take care all!

Maa-Salaama

16 Comments:

  • At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Richard,
    I think Jack could use some of his Tia Kuon Do, it wouldn't even be a fair fight. Besides he pulls Cheswick around by one leg all the time.
    Love,
    Dad

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Richard. I love reading all of this. It's s sunny day here with tempertures in the high 30's. It feels like a heat wave. I know this sounds awful, but how often do people bath? How's the sleeping? Ask your Dad what the hell is Tia Kuon Do? Got to run so take care and be careful. Love C

     
  • At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My name-a Borat. This is my country. Its NIICCCCEEEEEEEEE. High Five.

     
  • At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Rich,
    Sounds like you are having an incredible experience already. I admire you for being able to jump right into a foreign country with such enthusiasm and such a positive attitude. Best of luck with your studies over there. I’ll be keeping up with your posts in hope of learning more about your cultural experiences and your insightful observations of the major differences us simple Americans find so interesting.
    Culpepper’s win at USXC’s was a little unexpected. Another interesting fact is that the top four were Colorado Buffalo (is that plural?) Culpepper, Goucher, Ritz and Torres. The altitude thing must have worked to their advantage. Hmm.. Major Point: They ran well because of altitude training. Minor Point: You’re at altitude now. Conclusion: You should stop going to classes, train twice a day for the rest of your time there, come back here and win money racing. Who cares if you don’t learn anymore Arabic while you are there.. right?

     
  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey Heff,

    Sounds like a great experience thus far (save the animal brutality)! Keep at those verbs, they do tend to come in handy. I can't even fathom what it must be like trying to jump into a culture "cold turkey" as my old coach used to say.

    It was a hell of a meet for the ladies; I have to say it was the most fun excitiement I've felt watching and being a part of a meet in a long time. Hopefully us fellas can hold up our end a little better outdoors.

    As for Culpepper, very impressive. The ex-Buffs had a great day. Kastor was pretty sick too, beating in Flanagan like that.

    Anyways, time for class. Keep on rockin' in Yemen

    -Rob

     
  • At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    rich this is so great! reminds of the QUXC in Colorado blog days! Except you are about halfway around the world rather then country! Keep it rolling this is going to be a fabulous distraction from midterms!!
    Miss ya dude.
    love gwyth

    p.s. Go Blue- come to Michigan!!!!

     
  • At 10:09 PM, Blogger Jna said…

    So Rich, in case I forget to tell you, CHECK YOUR MAIL on Feb. 14th. Okay, who am I kidding...I have never kept a surprise from you in my life more than 5 minutes. But seriously, I really really hope you get what you are supposed to get the 14th because I am super excited! Oh yea, and I also sent you a letter in the regular mail this morning, which you will probably not get until the day you leave to come back to the states. LOVE YOU!

    Jna :)

     
  • At 10:14 PM, Blogger Jna said…

    Oh yea and my Skype is now activated. Oh yea and I have the best buddy icon ever. She's wearing Uggs over her jeans, just to annoy you! :)

    Talk to ya Wed at the crack of dawn!

    PS Snail mail sucks.

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Let the kids fight! Lol Anyway glad to see everything is goin well there, keep the posts coming, its cool to read what its like over there.

    Jake

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Richard. It's snowing here.

     
  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger HotWheels said…

    Well, I'm still fighting my laptop so I can only hope it works until I finish this.
    Was so thrilled you tried to call me yesterday and just as disappointed that it wouldn't work so both of us could hear. You still get an A++++ for determination! A true reminder you're calling from a third world country that never had landlines.
    No matter, it still seems you are doing an incredible job of adapting to a world that is more different than I can possibly imagine. I'm happy to hear you are out and about and trying new things. You never want to look back someday and think there were so many things you should have done while you had the chance. Make sure you fit them all in while you can. Good or bad, all your experiences will matter.
    As your mom, I want to know more about what you're eating. What kinds of food can you keep in your room? Do you have access to a fridge, stove? What meals do you go out to get?
    Sadie does NOT want to hear any more about the treatment of dogs and cats. Well maybe cats! She thinks you should start a Humane Society while your there.
    It's been snowing since I got up so I'm a little jealous of your weather. The snow is supposed to change to a mix of ice and rain so it could be quite a mess. I guess that will keep me close to home for the next day or two.
    Talked to Jill last night and told her about your trip. She wondered if anyone told you the middle east might not be the best place to go those days. She's pretty impressed. Passed on the blog info.
    Glad to hear you found some sport to participate in. See if you can get someone to take some pics with your camera at the next game. Make sure you represent!
    Don't know if this has a limit but won't push my luck.
    Much love! Mom and Sadie

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Blogger HotWheels said…

    One more little thing....if I get a laptop with webcam can you access one too?

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey there Rich!
    I just read your ENTIRE BLOG in one sitting...I didn't get a chance to check it out til now. After being riveted for probably an hour or more (and a bit cross-eyed), I'll probably be checking it compulsively. You sound so appreciative of everything you're experiencing and everyone you're meeting. It's really refreshing. Keep on enjoying your time over there...it's so neat to get a glimpse into a world we, or at least I, know nothing about. Looking forward to another post! Keep it wild man.

    Brady

     
  • At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Heff,

    Just saw pictures of Sana'a from the school's website. The city looks incredible. I cannot wait to see your own pictures.

    Hope all is well.

    - Mark

     
  • At 1:14 AM, Blogger HotWheels said…

    Sadie and I want to be the first to wish you Happy V-day EST. Know we love you "To the moon and back".

     
  • At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Richard,
    Valentines Day has started in this part of the world with 2" of snow on the ground, soon followed by 1" of ice as a major coastal storm has hit the east coast. As I sit here at my computer, yes the home computer is working, the freezing rain can be heard hitting the windows. All schools are closed and most work places are opening late. Soon enough some electric lines will be going down then things will get real crazy. High today will be 30, the temps tonight will dip to 12. So yes you are missing the excitment.
    As for the computer, Abdul said a couple of wires were loose and it was infected by 700 different viruses. Most of which came through an online game. Since I don't play online games and Colleen and you do I wonder who the culprits are?
    The only other things that are new here are that Delewareans are waiting for the Damlier/Chrysler restructuring announcement later today, hoping that the Newark plant is not on the chopping block. The optimistic view is that the plant will go to one shift with plans to stay open at least two years. We will see. The Phillies are going to spring training with an eye towards winning the division, it could happen this year. Other than that not much else is new. I'm going to get dressed try to get my car unfrozen and hope to make it to Wilmington.
    Keep the stories coming we are enjoying them.
    Happy Valentines Day- Love Dad, the girls and the animals.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home