86 Days in Sana'a

A captivating account of Rich's intensive studying of Arabic, travels, and everyday life in Sana'a, Yemen.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Weekend has Arrived!

Marhabben,

Hello everyone. The weekend has arrived here in Sana'a. Wednesday night is like Friday night in the states, the beginning of the weekend. I finished up my first week of classes today and am happy to say that I am making considerable progress. I have covered the possesive nouns and the tenses for verbs so I can actually start putting together some coherent sentences. I actually had my best Arabic conversation yet on my way to the internet cafe. Along the way some boys, probably about 12-14yrs old, said hello to me. So I stopped and introduced myself. I could tell they were enthused to talk with a foreign so I told them were I was going and they decided to tag along. It was about a 15min walk to the internet cafe so I got to practice on them quite a bit. There was one kid who spoke a tiny bit of english so he tried to help me out when I had trouble. Don't get me wrong, this was a very basic conversation but still it was great practice. We pretty much covered that I was a student studying Arabic at a school on Azzumar street. I was from the U.S. My family was still in the U.S. I like football and am playing tomorrow, etc. More like we traded statements back and forth.

On to other more exciting things, we have our big soccer game tomorrow. Our team actually all bought green Yemen national team jerseys so we will all match for tomorrow. We are playing on the best field in Yemen with a ref, linesmen and the works. It shall be exciting. I have no clue how good our competition will be. I'm also writing a story about the game for a local magazine that gets the students to occasionally write articles in english for them. Hopefully I will be able to report that we had a good showing.

Hmmm, what else. I have been invited to a wedding celebration which will be taking place the next two days out in the square right around the corner from the school. It sounds like there is going to be a lot of dancing and music so it shall be fun. Plus it will provide me with a great oppurtunity to practice my arabic. I think I am also going to try qat for the first time tomorrow, so we'll how that goes. While we are on the topic of weddings, something funny happened in class today. There was a question in my homework (wajib) asking if my wife was American. I put yes b/c my girlfriend is. So my teacher asked me when he was checking it if I was married. I told him I didn't but I had a girlfriend of three years. So then he asked "how many times I'd met her?". Literally meaning, had I ever even met her face to face. I told him in a subtle way that I saw her everyday. Then he obviously asked why we weren't married? It was pretty funny, sometimes I forget the immense cultural differences. I mean right now I'm sitting next to a kid playing others in some first person shooter game and he has a cell phone, but he probably will only meet his wife once or twice before their arranged marriage.

Now for answering some questions. My Mom asked what I have been eating. Well, usually for breakfast I'll have fruit that I buy at the market, mainly oranges and bananas with some dry cereal and tea or lately I've been walking down the street and getting egg and potato sandwiches for 25 cents in the morning. For lunch I always go out to restaurants nearby. Usually lunch consists of either, chicken, liver, vegetables, rice or eggs all usually served with bread. Then for dinner it is 50/50 whether I'll make pasta with some veggies from the market or go out to eat. For instance the other night I had bean dip, chicken, liver and flat bread for dinner. Followed up by some mango juice for desert and then a cup of tea. The food so far has been quite good, although I can imagine it will get a bit old. As for my stomach, it has been holding up incredibly well (KNOCK ON WOOD). Throwing up into a whole in the ground toilet would not be any fun so I'm going to try and avoid that.

Colleen asked how sleeping was going. Well, it hasn't been bad at all and seems to be improving each day. For instance, I actually slept straight through the call to prayer this morning. I couldn't believe it. I woke up at around 9am and was quite proud of myself for snoozing right through that loud and obnoxious banter.

For now I can't think of much else to report. To be honest I do still get a bit lonely sometimes, like yesterday when nobody was around in the dorm, so I went to class, got lunch by myself, studied arabic until my head was spinning (2hrs or so), then read for an hour and still no one was around. Times like those are a bit annoying, but overall everything is going great.

I almost forgot (Cicc you'll be happy to hear this after your post), I went for a run last night!!! Yah, Tommy and I went down to the local football pitch and did two miles of laps. It was really slow (Tommy is a big guy, 90kilos), about 9min pace, but it still felt good to work up a bit of a sweat. No one bother us and it felt great to run so I think I'm going to try to go over there a couple times a week and get in some 30min runs.

I also tried to upload pictures but because the connection is so slow over here it didn't work. I attempted to put up eight of them and waited 30min while it "uploaded" and finally gave up. Then I reduced the quality of one of them and tried and waited 10mins, lost my patience and gave up. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Well, I think that is it. I pulled some pics from goggle images of Old Sana'a. All of the pics you see below are places I live right near. For instance the one of the skyline is similar to what it looks like from our deck. My favorite one is of the city and the main gate (Baab al Yemen) lit up. We are trying to get wireless in our dorm, so if that happens I may finally be able to show you guys my pics. I can't wait for you guys to see them.

Happy St. Valentine's Day to All!!!

Maa Salaama



I picked out a few pictures I found on the web that are from Old Sana'a. I have seen all of these things and live within a couple minutes walking distance from them.

http://www.yemenweb.com/gallery/lady-s.jpg

http://k53.pbase.com/o4/01/632101/1/55014510.Sanaaoldcity1.jpg

http://www.netribution.co.uk/cc/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2066&g2_serialNumber=1

http://www.ylcint.com/photos/sanaa_minaret_sm.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.china.org.cn/english/en-whii/photo/30.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.china.org.cn/english/en-whii/30.htm&h=399&w=600&sz=70&hl=en&start=12&tbnid=H3xuCnOFpg2n_M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dold%2Bsana%2527a%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den

7 Comments:

  • At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good report, but it appears that as you learn arabic your english grammer and spelling is deteriorating. Maybe you forgot to hit the spell check button.
    Love, Dad

     
  • At 2:55 PM, Blogger HotWheels said…

    Those sample pics are amazing. I can't imagine the culture shock as you walk around town. That last shot of the wall is beautiful. Absorb and take as many pica as you can!

     
  • At 3:01 PM, Blogger Jna said…

    To add to your dad's post, please remember to translate things like "kilos" for some of us less intelligent, uncultured Americans. If this is only your 1st week overseas, I am worried about a language barrier developing over your three-month stay. With that said, it's really cool to see those pics...the one of the three women reminds me so much of the movie we saw at Yale..it's so much different to hear your stories of the way things actually are over there--it just doesn't seem as real in a movie, even though it was a documentary. Talking with the Yemeni teens sounds AMAZING--you are giving me such a craving to brush up on my Spanish and spend time in Spain...is there a country that people speak Spanish AND Arabic? Because that would be very cool. Other than that, life in the states is good...I went to a hockey game last night with Sarah, Dee, Mark, Brink, and some OTs (Josh showed up too)...I will snail mail you some of the pics of the new arena (although my camera died in the 1st period). We had a snow day (or rather, an ice day) today, with classes after 3 being canceled...I had Fieldwork in the AM at Cheshire Public Schools, so my morning was canceled too. It was pretty nice to sleep in. My running's been going better this week than last...hopefully I'll break the 20-mile mark this week. My roomies all say hi...we are making Valentine's Day cookies tonight...I will make one for you and let you know how it tastes. Well I think that's it for now...I miss you like crazy...happy Valentine's Day! Oh yea and I second that question your mom asked about a webcam...especially since you might be getting wireless at CALES (will it be fast?)...they're pretty light, I could even send u one if u cant get one there. Let me know. Love you!!!!!!!!!

     
  • At 3:13 PM, Blogger Jna said…

    oh yea and maybe your instructor was trying to give you a hint about the marriage thing...because apparently my hints don't work. just kidding. no but really, rings would be much cheaper there, right? just a thought! haha ok I'm done...talk to u soon!

     
  • At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Rich, Don't let your dad give you a hard time about your grammar and spelling - he couldn't learn a second language to save his life.

    Your blogs are very interesting. I forwarded the address to the girls and to a couple of your distant cousins. (They know you, but you probably don't remember them.)

    Let me know what the wedding is like. I assume the marriages are arranged.

    Love, Aunt Kathy

     
  • At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rich,
    Thanks for the update, I was just about to do some work but you swooped in and saved the day by giving me something else to do! As Jenna said, Cheshire Public Schools were closed today so I got my first snow day of the year. I think it is safe to assume that you probably will not get any snow days there... bummer. Good luck in your soccer game tomorrow, I hope you do not offend the other team by wearing their national colors haha! Finally, all that practice playing FIFA will come in handy.

    - Driscoll

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Richard. It's around 6:00pm and we just finished dinner. I did not know you liked liver! You and Nan's could eat some when you come home. Organ meat is not good for you. That's why gay men die early. Your dad told me to write that. We all can't wait to hear about the soccer game and the wedding. Do all the men have to sit together? Did you know that a kid from Wilmington is on Jeopardy? He won the other night and I think he is playing tonight. He is a senior at Friends. We all miss you so much. We want to put a care package together, so let us know what you would like. Love and miss you C

     

Post a Comment

<< Home